Happy Valentine’s Day!
Hope all you love birds like this recipe. Its soft and crunchy, peanut buttery and rich. I loaded it with peanut and peanut butter M&M’s but you can do just chocolate or mix it up. Its a basic recipe that you can jazz up with your favorite things; nuts, chocolate, candy bars and more!
Peanut Butter M&M Cookie Bars – Adapted from Averie Cookies
Yield: 16 Bars
1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, melted (1 stick)
1 Large Egg, room temp
3/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar, packed
1/4 Cup Sugar
1 Tablespoon Vanilla
3/4 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter (like Jif or Skippy, do not use homemade)
1 1/4 Cups Four
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
Pinch salt, optional and to taste
1 Cup M&Ms – I used 1/2 Peanut Butter and 1/2 Peanut (divided, 3/4 cup in the batter and 1/4 pressed into the top)
1/4 Cup Chocolate Chips – Optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter, about 1 minute. Allow the butter to cool momentarily so you don’t scramble the egg.
- Add the egg, sugars, vanilla, and stir vigorously to combine, for about 1 minute. Stir in the peanut butter.
- Add the flour, baking soda, optional salt and stir until just incorporated. Stir in M&Ms. Turn batter out into prepared pan, smoothing it lightly with a spatula.
- Bake for 20 to 24 minutes, or until center is just set and golden (a toothpick test should come out clean). Bars will firm up more in pan as they cool.
- Allow bars to cool in pan for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving. Store extra bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.