Today we have a guest blogger. I hope you enjoy it!
Hi everyone, my name is Ireland and I am Merlot’s neighbor. I am a 4th grader at San Elijo Hills Elementary school. I really wanted to learn how to make buttercream and swirl it on cupcakes. I am asking Santa for my own Kitchen Aid Mixer so I can do this at my house.
Today I came over to make to make these cupcakes. They have a surprise peanut butter cup in the middle. We picked this recipe because we had a lot of Halloween candy left over. We put one Reese’s on the bottom and covered them with chocolate cupcake batter. While they were cooling, we made the buttercream. We whipped the butter super duper fast and then added a ton of powdered sugar and peanut butter. We swirled it up high and drizzled the cupcakes with chocolate. We cut up Reese peanut butter cups into pizza slices and placed them right on top to finish them off.
We brought the cupcakes around to all our neighbors and they LOVED them! My little brother was like “yum, yum, yum, yum!”
Hope you enjoy these cupcakes as much as we did!
Chocolate Cupcakes – Adapted from Glorious Treats
1 3/4 Cups Flour
3/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa (best quality available)
1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Salt
3 Eggs, room temp
1 Cup Milk – We used 2%
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
1 Cup Boiling Water
- Line muffin tin with paper liners and put one peanut butter cup in the middle of each liner. Heat oven to 350.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for one minute.
- Stir in boiling water (the batter will be thin, don’t worry, this is right).
- Fill liners 2/3 full with batter. About 1/4 cup per cupcake.
- Bake cupcakes for approximately 20-22 minutes.
- Cool completely on wire rack before frosting.
3 Sticks Butter, unsalted and room temperature
1 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter
2 Tablespoons Vanilla
5 1/2 Cups Confectioners’ Sugar, sifted
6-8 Tablespoons Heavy Cream – I used about 4 tablespoons milk
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, cream butter and peanut butter on medium speed until fluffy.
- Turn your mixer down to low speed and slowly add in the confectioner’s sugar, and continue mixing until well blended.
- Add vanilla and 4 tablespoons of heavy cream or milk. Blend on low speed until moistened.
- Add an additional 1 to 4 tablespoons of heavy cream until you reach the desired consistency. Beat at high speed until frosting is smooth and fluffy
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes.
- We also drizzled the cupcakes with chocolate.